Another state has joined the growing legal action against Roblox. Oklahoma announced on Thursday that it has filed a lawsuit against the massively popular gaming site, claiming that it has evolved into a “hunting ground for child predators.”

“Roblox marketed itself as a safe place for children but turned a blind eye as predators targeted and exploited minors on its platform,” Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond said in a statement. “It failed to implement adequate safeguards, failed to protect young users and failed to be honest with parents about the risks.”

Hundreds of millions of people use Roblox every month, and much of the platform’s audience is made up of children. The Oklahoma lawsuit, like others before it, claims that child predators have used the website to get in contact with, groom and exploit minors.

Cases argue that Roblox prioritized profits over safety and didn’t do enough to implement measures that could have kept users safe.

The company is now facing a slew of lawsuits over these claims. Florida, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana and other states have filed similar cases against the company. Nearly 150 individuals and families have also filed child exploitation lawsuits in federal court.

three icons representing filing a lawsuit
Free Case Review
Online platforms have a responsibility to protect children. If your child was harmed after connecting with an adult on Roblox, Discord, Snapchat or Fortnite, you may be able to take legal action.

Iowa Lawsuit Against Roblox Receives Green Light to Advance

As Oklahoma files its Roblox lawsuit, other state cases are continuing to advance. Last week, a judge cleared the way for Iowa’s lawsuit to advance after denying the platform’s motion to dismiss.
Iowa’s lawsuit, which was filed in December, is built on similar claims to other cases that Roblox misrepresented its safety to parents and didn’t keep children safe.

“We will fight for our children. Roblox created a breeding ground for sexual predators, and Iowa’s children are paying the price,” Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird said in a statement at the time. “Roblox must either make their game a safe place for children or stop doing business in our state. Parents must be told the truth so they can protect their children online from inappropriate material, grooming, exploitation, and other predatory practices.”

In addition to the ongoing lawsuits, Roblox recently agreed to settlements worth more than $30 million combined with Alabama, Nevada and West Virginia that included commitments to improving platform safety.

The company plans to roll out age-based accounts later this year to limit who users can message with.